- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1 teaspoon light corn syrup
- 4 fresh peaches, peeled, halved, pitted (7 halves)
- 1 sheet frozen puff pastry, thawed but very cold
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 * F.
- Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer over moderate heat.
- Simmer without stirring until an amber caramel forms, about 6 minutes.
- Pour caramel into an 8 inch ovenproof skillet ( cast iron is great !), tilting to coat the bottom.
- Set peach halves in caramel, cut sides up.
- On a lightly floured surface, cut the puff pastry into an 9 inch round, to cover an 8 inch skillet.
- Set the round over the peaches in the skillet, and bake until the pastry is richly browned and puffed, about 28 minutes.
- Remove the skillet from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Carefully invert the peach tart onto a cake plate/platter, and let cool slightly.
- Cut the tart into wedges and serve with vanilla ice cream.