- 8 ounces heavy cream
- 8 ounces half-and-half
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- Combine first three ingredients in medium saucepan and scald.
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together yolks and vanilla, ladling in some of hot cream mix. Next, whisk eggs into rest of cream in saucepan.
- Stir in 1/2 cup sugar and brown sugar until dissolved.
- Pour into 6 ramekins, filling about 3/4 full.
- Bake at 325 degrees in water bath (so water is about 2/3 up the side of ramekins) for about 45 minutes or until set.
- Chill and sprinkle with sugar and slide under broiler until sugar caramelizes.
- Serve in ramekins on a plate swirled with caramel sauce.