- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 cup milk
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine sugar, flour and salt.
- Stir in lemon juice, zest, beaten egg yolks, butter and milk.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg whites until stiff but not dry; fold into lemon mixture.
- Pour into buttered 6 cup casserole dish.
- Place this casserole INSIDE a large pan (I use a 9x13 pan); pour hot water into the 9x13 pan to a depth of about 1 inch.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes or until the topping is set and golden brown.
- **During baking this separates into a cake-like topping with a lemon sauce beneath.