- 2 cups unsalted vegetable stock
- 1 1/2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped (or more to taste)
- Heat oil in large saucepan. Add onion and rice and cook over medium heat until the onion is just softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in salt, cumin, tomato and cook 1 minute more, stirring.
- Add stock, stirring to blend. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat, cover, and cook until the rice is tender and all the liquid is absorbed, 30-40 minutes. DO NOT REMOVE THE LID DURING THIS TIME.
- Fluff the rice with a fork and stir in the cilantro. Serve immediately.