- 1 1/2 lbs small parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 1 1/2 lbs baby carrots, peeled, halved lengthwise
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 -5 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Cut any long parsnips or carrots in half crosswise. In a very large skillet, cook parsnips, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 2 minutes. Add carrots, return to boiling. Cook 4 more minutes. Drain, set aside. Carefully, wipe skillet dry.
- Heat the 3 tbls. oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the fennel seeds, coriander, and cinnamon. Cook about 1 minute or until fragrant, stirring occasionally. Add the parsnips, carrots and garlic. Cook 10 to 12 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove from the heat. Stir in cilantro, lemon peel and juice, salt, and pepper. Drizzle with the olive oil. Enjoy!
- Make ahead tip:.
- Prepare through wiping the skillet dry. Transfer to a 2 1/2-3 quart microwave safe casserole dish. Cover, and refrigerate up to 24 hours. To serve, microwave, covered with plastic wrap on high 7-8 minutes.