- 1 lb dried great northern beans
- 2 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 carrots , peeled and slivered
- 1 medium onion , diced
- 2 celery ribs , diced
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 -4 tablespoons liquid smoke
- Soak the beans overnight in triple the amount of water, rinse well, and wash again.
- In a large soup pot, place vegetable stock and beans, and simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, covered, until beans are tender and start to become mushy.
- Add thyme, salt, carrots, onions, celery, pepper and liquid smoke to taste, and simmer for 30 more minutes, covered, stirring several times to prevent scorching on the bottom of the pot.