Sourdough Chocolate Malt Dessert Waffles
- 1 cup proofed sourdough starter (8 oz)
- 1 1/4 cups water, cool (10 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour, 100% (6 oz)
- 1/2 cup cocoa, dutch preferred (1 1/2 oz)
- 1/2 cup instant malted milk powder (2 1/4 oz)
- 1 teasoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3/4 cup sugar (5 1/4 oz)
- 2 large eggs
- 6 tablespoons butter, unsalted, melted (cool slightly)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla (or substitute kahlua)
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips, semi sweet (4 1/2 oz)
- Ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup
- Night Before:.
- Proof your starter by adding one cup of flour and one cup of water to 1/4 cup of starter.
- Next Morning (Prepare sponge 6-8 hours in advance):.
- Pour 1 cup proofed starter into a medium size mixing bowl.
- Stir in the water and whole wheat flour and mix until thoroughly combined.
- Cover bowl and set aside for 6 - 8 hours.
- To Make Batter:.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients, sifting if necessary to remove all lumps.
- To the sourdough sponge, stir in the eggs, flour mixture, melted butter, vanilla and chocolate chips.
- Mix thoroughly.
- To Bake Waffles:.
- Pour about 1/2 cup of batter into greased, preheated waffle iron.
- Bake until the steam stops coming out of the sides of the iron.
- The waffles will be soft and tender when removing from the iron, however they will crisp up as they cool.
- To Serve:.
- Top with ice cream, fruit and sauce and whipped cream.
Rate This Recipe
What do you think of this recipe?