- 18 1/2 ounces white cake mix
- 2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 3/4 cup butter , melted
- 1 cup cherry preserves
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup pecans , finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375. Prepare a 9x13 pan.
- In a large bowl, mix together the cake mix, oats and butter until butter has been evenly distributed and entire mixture is crumbly. (See Note #1 at end for directions to make a lower-fat option).
- Press TWO-THIRDS the oat mixture evenly into the bottom of the prepared pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the preserves with water and spread over the crust. (See Note #2 at end, regarding jam).
- Add pecans to the remaining ONE THIRD oat mixture and crumble this over the top, allowing some of the cherry filling to show through.
- Bake 375 for 28-30 minutes (34-36 minutes if you are doing the lower-fat option), or until the top is lightly browned and the center doesn't collapse when you press lightly.
- For best results, cut into bars after the bars are set and cooled (I like to cover with foil and cut into bars the next day).
- NOTE #1: For lower-fat option, instead of 3/4 cup butter, use 1/2 cup butter and 1/4 cup applesauce.
- NOTE #2: A 10 oz. jar of Smuckers "Simply Fruit" is about 1 cup. Use the whole jar.